Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What I've Read This Summer

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketWater for Elephants by Sarah Gruen

This book was very beautifully written. I had images of the circus running through my head as I read this (it also helped that there were also pictures). It also made me think twice about whether I'd want to take my kids to a circus where animals are treated this way. The book is about a man (Jacob) whose parents die suddenly just before he takes his final exams for vet school. Upon realizing that his parents had accumulated so much debt just to put him through vet school, he hops on a train and later realizes its a circus train. During his adventure, he meets his unstable boss, several unlikely friends, a smart elephant, and his boss' wife-- the woman he falls in love with. I highly recommend this book...I thought that it read like a Hemingway novel and I would gladly read it again.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Splendid Suns was a great follow up to the Kite Runner. It is about Afghanistan life (again) but this time it is told through a woman's perspective. The book follows the lives of two women that form an unlikely friendship as wives to the same man. It describes the struggles and hardships that Afghani women must endure. I highly recommend this book. I didn't think it was as good as the Kite Runner but it was an excellent read none the less.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketShopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella

Sophie Kinsela books haven't been that great lately and this one hasn't kicked it up a notch either. It just seems like the same old same old except its not even funny anymore. It's about Rebecca Bloomwood Brandon during her first pregnancy. She tries to buy everything, changes to an OB that also happens to be her husband's ex, and she single handedly saves the department store she's working for from going belly under. I wouldn't bother with this one.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketVanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult astonishes me again. How does she write such intriguing books time and again? I have decided that she is now one of my favorite authors. This book was good (although not as good as My Sister's Keeper). It's about a woman that learns she was abducted 28 years ago by her father...the man she's looked up to and trusted all her life. She is devastated by the fact that her father had lied to her about her mother being dead and that her real name wasn't Delia. The book traverses through the trial and alternates views between Delia, her dad, her fiance, her friend and her alcoholic mother. The reason why he abducted her comes out during the course of the book and it was a page turner. However, I did guess the ending. I highly recommend this book.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketBehaving Badly by Isabel Wolff

I wouldn't bother with this one. It's a chick lit book and not even a funny one. It's about a pet behaviourist that unknowingly did something as a teenager that affected a young man. She tries to find him to apologize and clear her conscience. Instead she falls in love with him.

3 comments:

Florinda said...

Water for Elephants was a good book-club pick; I'd been on the fence about reading it, but I'm now very glad I did. I actually didn't like Vanishing Acts all that much, and I'm a Picoult fan; I thought it was one of her weaker efforts (maybe because, like you, I guessed the ending a little too soon).

Misty said...

I loved the writing of Water for Elephants very much! There was another book you mentioned that I wanted to comment on, but now I've forgotton. As far as Sophie Kinsella... I agree. She lost something along the way. I thought this latest (and hopefully last) Becky Bloomwood installment exceeded my expectations a little SIMPLY because all of Kinsella's books post Shopaholic ties The Knot were such dissapointments. This one was closest to the first three, though still a far miss.

DabookLady said...

Hi there, I found you by surfing and since my nickname is "Bookwurm" it fit ....but I am also in a reading ring I just joined??? I will try your other blog too...